Tuesday, June 06, 2006


Today I renewed my resident's parking permit. "Shall I date it for tomorrow?" the man said. "It'll be luckier." As a Buddhist I do not fear the number 666. If I'm found impaled on a long stake, Fatima Whitbread would be a more likely culprit than the anti-Christ. As for my car, annihilation would be a kindness. The damaged digicam that sits unposted on the back seat has more value than the vehicle itself. If it wasn't for the fact it's taxed and insured, you'd think it belonged to an illegal. Dodging soothsayers and evil monks, I popped into the Royal Free to see my friend H's ma. Aged 90, she's giving the grim reaper a run for his money. Six weeks after a stroke she's back on the whisky and planning a return to work. Tomorrow she has her hair tinted. Back home, I rewrote a piece for one of the dailies and flirted a bit online. I suspect my expectations are way above my pulling abilities, but practice helps:-o My own ma popped round with some letters she wanted typed and stayed for a very jolly dinner with me and the eldest. Afterwards, we all went for a walk. The youngest, meanwhile, is following in the footsteps of Hadrian. She left for Northumberland yesterday wearing a Waitrose bag. It was to honour a classmate who left at half term. I didn't quite get the point, but that's the luxury of youth isn't it? You do things just because you can:-)

No comments: